Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Hello from the "Other Half" of The Speech Spot

Hi all,
Sorry I've been quiet thus far.  Nichole and I are very excited to be starting this blog to share all of the lesson plans that we have and also create some new ones! Up until this point, I've been silently slaving away (Nichole is such a slave driver.... just kidding ;) ) behind the scenes working on all things blog design related.  But, I wanted to say hi and share my two cents so that Nichole didn't appear to be talking about her imaginary friend Peyton :)

I had the joy of interning under Nichole my last semester of graduate school (2 years ago, boy does time fly). Nichole taught me that ALL (articulation, voice, fluency, language) good therapy could be done by picking up a book.  I mean, we do work in schools after all, so we are charged with supporting the genreal education curriculum which is most easily done by using books.

As Nichole mentioned, there are a million ways to plan a book unit.  When I worked with her she had multiple units going at a time depending on the grade level the kiddos were in.  However, I quickly realized that Nichole had a pretty large school and thus it was a lot easier to manage this.  I don't have a large school and my groups are made up of kids across grade levels so it was much easier for me just to do the same book with most of my groups all at one time and scaffold based on their ability level.  Anyways, it doesn't really matter how you do it, as long as you have wonderful books!

So let's get on with this... Stay tuned for more Graeme Base books, a splash of Chris Van Allsburg, some good one book units, and even a great unit involving a social studies/government theme!

Please leave a comment if you have any ideas, suggestions, questions, info on broken links or just want to say hey!!

-Peyton

P.S. Nichole may say she can't speak for me... but she can. I, too, don't like to lesson plan... I mean who does?!
Photobucket
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment