Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Johnny Appleseed Week

Next Thursday is Johnny Appleseed's Birthday so of course, I have exploited it and created a week of therapy lessons based on his story.  This was one of the theme weeks I did last year with my kids and they liked it, but I have added a few new things for this year I think they will love!

The two books I presented last year were borrowed from a teacher who retired so I don't have them anymore, which means I cannot tell you about them.  One of the books was about Johnny Appleseed's life and I did that one with my older language kids.  The other book was about an apple tree and the different things you do with it through each season.  I presented that book to my younger students and we worked on sequencing and retell. 


This year we will be doing Amelia Bedelia's First Apple Pie by Herman Parish!  I am super excited about this because I loved Amelia Bedelia when I was young and I can't wait to introduce her to my kids.  The great thing about Amelia is she is a very concrete little girl.  She does not understand figurative language or multiple meaning words.  This is great for the SLPs of the world because we are provided with a fun way to target those skills. 


I created a speech-language activity pack to work on some other skills throughout the week.  You can pick it up at my TPT store!!

Compare and Contrast:
Have students draw cards to compare and contrast listed items.  They can earn "apples" to put in their pot but watch out for Johnny because he will eat all of the apples out of the pot.  The person with the most apples at the end of the game wins!

Figurative Language:
I made a figurative language card deck as well to work on idioms, similes, and metaphors.

WH Questions:
There is also a WH question card deck to work on who, what, when, where, and why questions.
Articulation Apple Memory:
I thought it might be nice to play Memory with my artic kids, so I made a game where all of the words are on the same cards.  This way all of my kids can play the same game at the same time but work on their own target sounds.  Of course, there was not enough room for pictures on the same card so I don't know how successful this will be.  Hopefully it works.
Expanding Expression Tool:
I LOVE EET!!! I think it is fantastic for describing, defining, and personal narrative.  The pom poms in my room represent EET so I made a worksheet to define/describe apple using this wonderful tool.

Apples to Apples:
This game is great to work on descriptive words for language kids, connected speech for artic/voice/fluency kids, and turn taking/good sportsmanship for social skills kids.  Apples to Apples Jr. is good but I like Apples to Apples Disney better because the cards have pictures on them. It is helpful for our younger kids or poor readers.

Apple Pizza:
We are also going to make apple pizza with Pampered Chef's recipe to work on following directions skills.  For my higher level groups and social skills groups I am going to add a twist to the normal cooking activity.  The first day of the week I am going to introduce the activity after reading Amelia Bedelia and ask what things we need in order to make the pizza.  I am going to make a list of things for each group and only provide those things to the kids when they make the pizza on their second day of speech.  I think this will be a good lesson in problem solving for my kids.  I send home a food permission slip at the beginning of each year for parents to sign and to gather any information on possible food allergies, so I recommend doing that before any activity involving food.

I hope you enjoy!!!
Photobucket
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment